Monday, October 21, 2013

Second Try Making Pizza in the Outdoor Oven


Since the first time did not go so well, we tried a few things differently this next time.  We started the fire in the center of the oven and let it burn for about 30 minutes.  Then we added some logs on top of the coals and moved the fire to the side wall and to the back.  This seemed to work very well because the fire was now on two sides of the pizza we were cooking.  We also added logs to the side fire so that the flames were high enough to be rolling up and over the top of the oven on the inside.  The most important thing we did differently was to use a better dough recipe.  We used the 3 hour pizza dough recipe in The Art of Wood Fired Cooking book by Andrea Mugnaini.   This dough was very easy to work with and not too sticky. The first 2 pizzas I rolled out and pressed flat by hand.  It took a while but I got it.  By the third one I was complaining to my neighbor about how long it takes and he said why not use a rolling pin!  I cannot believe I did not think of that because it worked so well.  The dough was so easy to work with it took me 2 rolls in 4 directions and it was a perfectly even and round pizza.   We used lots of flour on the pizza peel (which we had gotten from Brickwood Ovens) which made turning the pizza very easy.   For the toppings we used homemade sauce and venison Italian sausage.  It turned out so well I think we may finally be ready for a pizza party!





No comments:

Post a Comment